One year ago today I started working at my current job. That one move has led to a cascade of major changes that has resulted in an amazing year of transformations for me.
Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?
Well, I’ve been afraid of changing
‘Cause I’ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I’m getting older too
A year ago, this song brought me to tears. It was this time last year that I began to realize how unhappy I was in my life. This song played EVERYDAY during the week that I decided to ask my husband of 14 years for a divorce.
I have found that the changes that I started to make before the divorce discussion supported me in that decision and in coping with my life on a daily basis in a more healthy way. These self-care items have helped me to free myself from my self-imposed prison.
(Note: my soon-to-be-ex-husband did not imprison me, it was I who did it to myself.)
What have I changed in my life over the last year?
- Mindset: I no longer feel life is “out to get me” or that I am a victim in need of protection.
- Courage: to change, to run, to do things that scare me and to step outside of my comfort zone to get what I want.
- Myers-Briggs Personality Profile: from INFJ to ENFP
- Routines & habits: daily meditations and near daily mantras. healthier eating, running, working out.
- Body: I’ve lost >40 pounds, and I am more in shape now that I was 20 years ago!
- Car: From a cramped Toyota Prius to a freed Jeep Wrangler
- My Tribe, I’ve found it!
- Living and custody arrangements.
- Relationship status: Separated and soon to be divorced
- Blog: A return to writing.
- Job: from Home Health PT with a Hospice emphasis to outpatient with a focus on Womens’ Health and Multiple Sclerosis.
Needless to say, in the last year I have walked through the flames of the spiritual foundry and have come out a stronger, healthier and happier person. I feel free to be me. I feel free to experience life to its fullest. I am so excited about who I am and who I am becoming.
So how did I do all of this, you ask? Through the willingness to look at myself, my life and my choices and to choose the path that brings me the most happiness. Life unfolds before us according to our choices from the past. By choosing differently than I had in the past, a new set of possibilities opened up before me. By looking closely at the “crap” that I had believed, I was then able to choose differently.
Further change was invoked through the willingness to be who I want to be and to follow my soul’s direction. This was helped through the use of daily meditation, self-care and movement on all levels: spiritual, physical, mental and emotional.
I believe that you can do this, too! By choosing to do things differently, even if in just one aspect of your life, you can change your path. You can change your life. It just takes the willingness to step outside of your comfort zone. Even if it’s just a little change, take that first step. Embrace the possibilities!