Easter heralds the season of renewal, rebirth and resurrection. One of the most influential things we can do to renew our lives for the better is to pay attention to what we are thinking and change our thoughts, if needed.
Where you invest your love, you invest your life. ~ Mumford & Sons, “Awake My Soul”
Thoughts are like sound tracks that play through our minds. Many times our thoughts are things that others have told us early in our lives that we believed. We carry those thoughts forward in our lives. Sometimes this helps us. Often times it does not support who we want to be nor how we see ourselves. The more energy, focus, emotion and attention we give to our thoughts, the more their arc of influence grows. This is important as our thoughts lead to our behaviors and actions. Our actions create our daily lives.
Another way to view this is that our minds are gardens. The thoughts we plant, water and pay attention to are the ones that grow and sprout, flower and eventually spread more seeds. It is important to hear the things we are telling ourselves. If this is an unwanted thought, do we really want to continue to allow it to grow and eventually “go to seed” and spread its influence further and further? On the other hand, what thoughts support us in where we want to be and go in life? The plants that we feed and water through our attention and focus are the ones that grow the most.
Recent unwanted things on my mind or “weeds to pull”:
- “I am fat.” Guess who gained weight this month? 😉
- “I am not worthy of …. (love, affection, attention, wealth, etc).”
- “I am too much…I need too much…I am annoying…”
- “I can’t sleep…sleep is so difficult for me…” Guess who was becoming an insomniac?
- “I don’t have enough energy.” Guess who felt like she had lead in her shoes all day?
The things I say to myself when I hear the above thoughts or “planting fruit bearing plants”:
- “My body supports me every day.”
- “I have all the energy and resources I need.”
- “My words & actions add value to the lives of others. By being me, I support others.”
- “I get the sleep I need tonight and every night.”
- “I am an author whose arc of influence expands daily.”
The things we can do when we have unwanted thoughts:
- Acknowledge the thoughts, then focus on the love within the heart (even if it just feels like a sliver at first).
- Imagine “dragging and dropping” the thoughts from the mind and into the heart.
- Write a new dialogue, similar to the ones above that move in the direction of where we want to go.
For us to change our lives, it is important to pay attention to the things we are telling ourselves. The thoughts we have today are the seeds of our tomorrows. The lives we live today are the products of our thoughts from yesterdays. What do we want to plant today?
May we all be free of the weeds in our minds. May we instead plant and grow the seeds that support us the most.